As many of you may know, I draw with watercolour pencils. I enrolled in Cathy Johnson’s watercolour pencil course online in 2009.(It is now available as a CD).That triggered my love of watercolour pencils and I am still enjoying and excited by their possibilities.
Here is a list of MY top 5 tips for using watercolour pencils.
- become aware of the colours that your pencils make on paper when dry AND wet
- sharpen your pencils often- especially for those finer details
- draw the outline of the subject with the pencil that you are going to use as its colour (when you blend it with water the outline becomes part of subject instead of an outline)
- build up layers to create depth and texture
- experiment with the many ways of using watercolour pencils.
These are tips that I have discovered work for me as my style has developed over the past few years. I hope that this provides insight to gets people experimenting with this wonderful medium. Let me know if you have any questions !
Have a look at the following links to see more indepth information about how I use watercolour pencils