2015 has been an eventful and amazing year.
I moved in September 2014 to Melbourne after 10 years of living in Sydney. The move provided so many new opportunities.
I started listing my achievements and was astounded at how much I have accomplished. Some of the things I have done were on my ‘to do’ list and others were on my ‘wouldn’t it be wonderful one day if… ‘ (medium and long term goal) list. Through the year opportunities presented themselves and I think I grasped most of them.
In this blogpost I have listed my achievements, links to the relevant website and then links to my blog post about the event (if you missed it and want to read up and follow my artistic adventures).
- Website www.alissaduke.com I previously used to have a blog on Blogger but realized I needed more. I completely amazed myself by creating my own website. I expected trauma and tears , but it all went smoothly thanks to well written instructions. It still needs a little work, but has the look and style I was hoping for . I used this book http://www.alannahmoore.com/ Create Your Own Website Using WordPress in a Weekend
Read about it at http://www.alissaduke.com/2015/01/welcome-to-2015.html
- I have a weekly blog . You can sign up to receive email notifications when I post a blog (like this one) . The blog is all about my art – what I am up to, hints and tips and sketching adventures. www.alissaduke.com/blog
- Etsy . www.etsy.com/au/shop/AlissaDuke. I have an online shop to sell drawings . At the moment I sell my drawings printed on greeting cards (see the next achievement) . I investigated the options on where to sell online and decided on the Etsy platform. I have had a slow, steady and encouraging trickle of sales. Thank you to all who have purchased cards !
- Read about it at http://www.alissaduke.com/2015/03/my-etsy-shop-is-open-2.html
- Greeting cards – I now have some of my drawings printed on 24 cards and 5 envelopes. I located a Melbourne commercial printer www.printtogether.com.au (from local recommendations). They scan my drawings capturing the subtleties of watercolour pencil and are very patient with my technical ignorance. The cards have the high quality look I wanted and I am very proud of them . I then sourced envelopes and cello bags and all the associated resources.
Read about it
- Linden Postcard show. I entered three drawings in this local non-juried art exhibition. I was proud to see them on the walls
- I have held three Exhibitions. Two were held at my local library thanks to the local community East Melbourne library who provide free display cabinets. They were my first solo exhibitions and had the joy of an exhibition without the stress of framing, pricing, opening night. etc. I learnt a lot along the way about display and how much work is involved .
I have an exhibition at the Supreme Court Library http://www.alissaduke.com/2015/11/my-supreme-court-library-exhibition.html . It is still on til 22 January 2016 if you are in Melbourne
- Uppercase – two drawing projects (snail mail and airmail parcel) published in this prestigious magazine
- Commission x 2 nest and car. They are both Christmas presents so I cannot show you !
Read about it http://www.alissaduke.com/2015/10/my-first-markets.html. I may have a stall in an artisan market next year and this was a good introduction to how it works, the reality and set up .
- Local general store – outlet for cards – East Melbourne General Store – the lovely new owner Lisette is very supportive and promoted and stocked my cards
Another very important part of my year were the PEOPLE . I have met and sketched with Melbourne Urban Sketchers, Erin’s travel sketch class, as well as local and online friends. They are all part of the wonderful and supportive art community locally and online.
Thanks to everyone who supported my art by liking or following on facebook., flickr, instagram or this blog or providing guidance and advice along the way. Drawing is great fun but the associated activities involved in sharing my art are another world. It is sometimes a steep learning curve and an adventure . I am still learning. (As you tell by the formatting of this page as things don’t go where I want them to on the page)
Looking forward to 2016
- Urban Sketching Symposium in Manchester
- Drawings and text In Cathy Johnson’s book – next year Artist’s Sketchbook: Exercises and Techniques for Sketching on the Spot Paperback – July 13, 2016 . http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1440338809?redirect=true&keywords=cathy%20johnson%20art%20books&qid=1449776507&ref%5F=sr%5F1%5F2&sr=8-2&pldnSite=1
I am not sure what will be included along side of Cathy and 23 other awe-inspiring artists . I find it hard to come to term that I am included in this group.
- Two more commissions a house and a car
- Potential for more cars as this year s commission is advertised in the car club magazine
- A stall at artisan Markets
- An exhibition in July
- being the In-house sketcher at a series of events.
I am looking forward to the New Years artistic adventures and to see the wonderful places they will take and people I will meet. See you along the way !